Question 200 - Perroquets - 250605

À chaque Question...

Messagepar roadeuse » Sam 23 Juin 2007 8:37

Deux ans plus tard ... ça ne s'arrange pas et donc UP !
Thyme a écrit:I am afraid today has been a black day for my oranges although it could have been worse.
The cockatoos started early on my oranges this year so I was eating them while they were slightly green (a bit like a cross between a lemon/grape fruit and a orange at this stage).
The cockatoos have destroyed 100s and 100s in just a matter of days when I diid not see them about but then left me alone for a few weeks. I have been scaring them away and how many oranges I get depends a lot on how well things are going on my computer because when things are going well I take lots of little breaks to walk outside away from the computer (which is also good for my health) and so my presence outside keeps them away but yesterday I let them settle on the tree for way to long while I was inside the inside the house staring at a computer screen, grrrrrrrrrrr they must have had about half of the few remaining on the tree but I still have well over 60 oranges left, that adds up to one a day for 2 months if I can possibly keep them away for that long. I am going to try making a bow and arrow, not to harm them just to let them know I can reach to the top of the trees. I will attach a streamer on the arrow but I don't know if I can achieve such heights The eucalyptus trees in this part of Australia grow so tall! If I fail to get that high perhaps a could make medieval catapult. lol the trouble is finding the time to do everything. We did not use to have this much trouble from them before.

(Source)

La Chro du 25 juin 2005 a été rééditée ici.
roadeuse
Administrateur
Administrateur

Messagepar chiendent » Dim 24 Juin 2007 13:15

Our heart is with you. So the above propositions did not help. I will try to help with a few little ways:
1) ecolo:
- a big net above the tees. It could be light because the parrots are big so the mesh sizes could be large.
- the parrots are only interested in seeds and , we, do not eat the seeds, so try to get orange seeds and build a kind of big bird house for them to eat those seeds. Parrots are lazy like us and they might prefer not to have to bother with opening the oranges to find the seeds. You could even attract them by putting an orange essential oil in the bird house.
- figure out what odor repells them and oil the oranges with this perfume every two hours.
- glue each green orange with horns all around.
2) not politically correct:
- tell Monsanto to create a variety of orange tree which repells parrots
- take an insurance for next year
3) resignation:
- forget about oranges for your C vitamine, acerola is better, so plant this kind of cherry trees instead.
- harvest the oranges green, they have no good seeds yet and vitamine is here.
4) metaphysic:
- all the problems have their solution: ask your internal voice for it and trust the answer
5) communication:
- google orange and parrots, you might find an answer
- try to ask your question on all the forums, put articles in all the médias
- do a blog about parrots and oranges
- write a book about the problem
So I do not think to have a really good answer but I know you know an answer and what all that discussion is about. Since I am enjoying the discussion, I am not sure I want to have an answer :twisted:
chiendent

Messagepar thyme » Lun 25 Juin 2007 23:56

hi chiendent :) thanks for your interest in my ongoing saga concerning my single orange tree I planted in about 1987 which is my main source of Vitamin C while there is fruit on it. The orange seed I sowed was saved from a orange tree that was already growing on the farm so it is some local variety. This parent tree has since died I assume from old age. (they must be short lived)
I planted my orange tree very close to the house next to an outside doorway so it is a shame it can not be seen directly from where I spend most of my time programming.
Your first suggestion of putting a big net over the tree I have considered a number of times. The net would have to be wire-netting because cockatoos would bite a string net to shreds in no time looking at how they have pruned my poor tree so a big structure would have to be made to stop the wire netting getting caught in the tree.
What I don't like about this solution is the tree is a good many meters higher than myself so huge ugly monstrosity of a structure would have to be made and i am scared of height :) The same goes for Taranis's earlier suggestion for making a glass structure (sorry Taranis for taking so long to get back to you on this). Wire netting would be preferable to glass however because fruit grown under glass contains significantly less vitamins compared to fruit grown directly under the sun. I have heard this is because glass filters out certain rays of light.

I don't know if I have an answer now for all your fine suggestions :) but I must point out that cherries would not do as an alternative because oranges bear their fruit now (the middle of winter here) and keep the fruit on the tree fresh for many months. Cherries bear fruit in the spring or summer and only stay on the tree for a few weeks at the most and sadly here stone fruit suffers horribly from Queensland fruit fly. They lay eggs in just about every single peach when the wild peaches come into season. There really is nothing like Oranges here for how free they are free from disease and insects so it is such a shame the cockatoos have decided they like the few seeds that they grow.

Another ecological solution would be to plant navel oranges. (oranges that don't grow seeds) I have a poor sad little navel shaded out by a mulberry tree which grows just a few fruit a year but the cockatoos still butcher the oranges because they do not realize they do not contain seeds but if you had a tree growing in the full sun and growing hundreds like my seeding does I am sure they would get the message that this tree has no seeds lol.
This would be a good solution. I like fresh navel oranges but they don't have the same amazing favour as the local seedlings and I imagine they don't contain the same amount of vitamins considering most wild fruit is much higher in vitamins to anything domesticated.

I tried making a bow and arrow to scare them away but my attempts were pitiful, My arrow did not get any where near to the tops of the trees where they hang out.
I am sure my arrows went further when I made bows when I was 15 years old. I have either forgotten the art of making a good bow or perhaps the years of being a programmer have made me just to week to pull back the bow enough :roll:

chiendent a écrit:4) metaphysic:
- all the problems have their solution: ask your internal voice for it and trust the answer

Well I still feel the best solution is computer surveillance. they know they are being naughty because they fly away soon as they see me where as other parrots and birds who don't attack the oranges do not fly away when they see me. If I had eyes in the back of my head so to speak that is if every time they ever settled on the orange tree I came out waving my arms and doing my scary monster act I am sure they would not feel like landing on it any more. I don't think they have a great love for the orange seeds I think they just do it because they are there to eat. I am pretty sure computer surveillance would work because scaring the birds off is all I use currently but it is so easy to forget about them where as a computer eye would never tire. All it has to do is look down at the tree from a high pole and scan for clusters of white pixels or even those yellow crest they have. The technology developed from this could also be applied to watching out for the bower birds in the spring that eat most of my strawberries. Bower birds are an Australian native bird I have not talked about yet. Unlike cockatoos they are not quite so destructive and actually like to eat the fruit (strawberries) and unlike cockatoos they are great lovers of art or at least the females are (perhaps for the males its just a chore making art to attract the females). Some people say what separates humans from the rest of the animals is our appreciation of the finer things in life such as art but if this is so then bower birds are on par with us :) They have to make artistic creations using what ever they can find to catch a mate. Male bower birds seeks out interesting objects and have a particular liking for anything blue. (the males are a dark shiny blue themselves) . The introduction of man made objects must have felt like a god send for them because not only do some man made objects look amazingly blue and shiny in comparison to the local flowers they do not wither like flower petals do. They prefer the more interesting shiny objects but often they settle for blue cloths pegs and blue bottle tops to add to their artistic creations put on display for any passing art loving female.
thyme

Messagepar Taranis » Mar 26 Juin 2007 11:36

thyme a écrit:Well I still feel the best solution is computer surveillance.

Not ecological dear Thyme :).
Taranis
Voyageur du mois
Voyageur du mois

Messagepar Alain » Mar 26 Juin 2007 12:00

I guess that Taranis tought about that

http://www.universes-in-universe.de/car ... our-16.htm
Alain

Messagepar chiendent » Ven 29 Juin 2007 13:22

Alain a écrit:I guess that Taranis tought about that

http://www.universes-in-universe.de/car ... our-16.htm

Ouah, very nice recycling of plastic water bottles. I will not judge the artistic quality though. :)
chiendent

Messagepar chiendent » Ven 29 Juin 2007 13:25

Thank you thyme for your feedback. I hope that your computer will watch your tree carefully. But you will need to have the computer watching day and night or does the birds eat only during days and when you are on your computer?
:?:
chiendent

Précédent

Retour vers Questions